In 2014, the town of Pearisburg Farm to Fork Program received a Farmers Market Promotion Program (FMPP) grant to increase the access and utilization of local and regional products. The goal of the program is to make healthy food more accessible and utilized by residents and surrounding communities. Since December 2014:
- The town in partnership with Virginia Cooperative Extension has hosted several free workshops for local producers, including a speed date event, which introduced producers with buyers.
- Established the Pearisburg Community Market,located on 1410 Wenonah Avenue, open from May through October on Saturdays from 9am-2pm and the third Thursday of each month from 4-8pm. Attendance ranges from 150-500 people per day based upon the events and activities scheduled.
- A grant was awarded to the market from Carilion Hospital to allow SNAP participants to receive a one for one match for the first $10 dollars that they spend at the market.
- VA Commission of the Arts and National Endowment of the Arts also awarded a grant for a Music at the Market Concert series on Thursday nights.
- The Pearisburg Community Market has established an initiative called the Farm Table. This program provides access to affordable, nutritious foods that contain ingredients available at the market. These prepared foods can be purchased at the market. The Farm Table works is a collaborative partnership with the Carilion Hospital Health Educator, Virginia Cooperative Extension Agent, FCS, Giles County AG-Lab, and local farmers. The partnership will be offering demonstrations, hands-on cooking and beverage classes this August, September and October.
For additional information on these and other activities, visit the following Facebook pages: Pearisburg Community Market and Pearisburg Farm to Fork or call the Pearisburg Town Office at 540-921-0340