This event provided an opportunity to come together, share and learn about exciting work underway across the region that supports the goals and priorities of the Livability Initiative and to identify potential partnerships and collaborations.
The event started with an overview of the Livability Initiative and some key data and regional trends from the past five years. This year we also had 12 lightning round speakers, who provided a quick sketch of their recent and innovative efforts to:
- Provide strategies for aging in place
- Address the need for affordable housing
- Improve childhood literacy
- Grow our creative economy
- Expand programs for small businesses
- Revitalize downtowns across the NRV
- Integrate the arts into community development
- Expand the skills of our region’s workforce
- Relieve hunger and improve food access
- Establish a volunteer water quality monitoring program
- And more.
The event concluded with “conversation and snacks” to provide an opportunity for everyone to network.
For more data and trends on the New River Valley, check out the NRV’s data dashboard.