When Taylor Hollow Construction acquired the AC Wilson building on West Main Street in Radford, it had been vacant for 30 years and was very close to falling down. With half the building built in 1897 and half built in 1903, Joe Fortier, the owner of Taylor Hollow, wanted to give the old building a new life. The reconstruction was completed this fall and the historic building is now home to 10 beautiful two bedroom apartments for low and moderate income people and two commercial spaces.
One of the new residential tenants is a Radford native who also works locally and decided to move into AC Wilson because of the impressive level of historical features retained in the front apartments. The exposed brick wall with the old ad signs drew her to the building.
One of the commercial spaces has been leased to the Radford Coffee Company which uses the proceeds from the business to support a tax-exempt nonprofit that funds about six schools in Nicaragua. The schools serve about 2,500 children between 5 and 13 years old, according to Eric Johnson, the owner. The other commercial space has been leased to Kibbles on Main, a long time Blacksburg business providing pet food and supplies that decided to open a second location in Radford.
Joe Fortier recognized the partners that helped make the project happen and said “Without the help of NRV HOME funds, this project would never have gotten done.” For more information on the project or available spaces: Taylor Hollow Management at 540-641-1794.